Article Source: Ontario Ministry of Finance
The Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit is a new permanent, refundable Personal Income Tax credit to assist with the cost of permanent home modifications that improve accessibility or help a senior be more functional or mobile at home.
The credit is worth up to $1,500 each year, calculated as 15 per cent of up to $10,000 in eligible home renovation expenses that will help seniors stay safely in their homes. It can also be claimed by senior homeowners and tenants, and people who share a home with a senior relative.
Amounts claimed by couples are subject to a combined maximum of $10,000 in eligible expenses per year. Different family members in a shared home can claim the credit. However, the total amount of the eligible expenses that can be claimed, per year, by all of those family members cannot exceed $10,000.
What expenses qualify?
Some examples of eligible expenses include:
- certain renovations to permit a first-floor occupancy or secondary suite for a senior
- grab bars and related reinforcements around the toilet, tub and shower
- handrails in corridors
- wheelchair ramps, stair/wheelchair lifts and elevators
- walk-in bathtubs
- wheel-in showers
- widening passage doors
- lowering existing counters/cupboards
- installing adjustable counters/cupboards
- light switches and electrical outlets placed in accessible locations
- door locks that are easy to operate
- lever handles on doors and taps, instead of knobs
- pull-out shelves under counter to enable work from a seated position
- non-slip flooring in the bathroom
- a hand-held shower on an adjustable rod or high-low mounting brackets
- additional light fixtures throughout the home and exterior entrances
- swing clear hinges on doors to widen doorways
- creation of knee space under the basin to enable use from a seated position (and insulation of any hot-water pipes)
- relocation of tap to front or side for easier access
- hands-free taps
- motion-activated lighting
- touch-and-release drawers and cupboards
- automatic garage door openers
Healthy Home Renovation Check
Contact Krumpers to install a new set of Krumper Solar Blinds to reduce heating and cooling bills by up to 40%.